Wednesday, January 30, 2013


"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9, NIV)

I have been meditating on a quote I had been given that is attributed to Robert Louis Stevenson, "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant."  It reminded me of several scripture passages concerning harvest and planting.  I decided to share the passage above from Galatians.

We live in age that expects harvest all the time, not just seasonally.  You boss does, your kids do, your parents do, your teacher does.  We expect our politicians to, our grocery store (why can't you get good fruit in the winter?), our bank accounts, our diets.  We expect results…NOW!
  
I guess a harvest is a reasonable expectation for your life.  Most farmers plant with an expectation of harvest.  But they expect the harvest in due time.  We must expect that God is the Lord of (and Scheduler of) the Harvest in our lives.  Not our impatience or the impatience of others.  What does "at the proper time" mean in your life today?  Should that be my goal today?  Can I only take joy today in the harvests I have or others bring me?  Maybe today I should focus on the "seeds" I am called by God to plant today and trust God for the harvest "at the proper time."  Where is your focus today?

2 comments:

  1. My focus of late… why the church has been unable to move the Heart of God? Can the Holy Spirit no longer work in the hard-heartedness of an unrepentant soul? Has the power of the praying church been diminished? Am I the one stopping up the works? No. Today’s blog post reminds me that I need to have the mindset of a farmer, “…expect the harvest in due time.” Reminded that God still has things under control, I think I will focus on the seeds I may yet plant today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm only five days post-op from major surgery, I still find my level of fatigue frustrating (although, admittedly, not as frustrating as it will be in another week), and the pain level, and the need for painkillers...the list goes on. And while I'm grateful to the doctors for their skill, it's still hard to deal with the limitations required during post-op recovery.

    Recovery of any kind takes time and patience.

    That being said, I believe I will go take a nap.

    ReplyDelete